Case Study: Building control user interface
A Household Name in the Supply of Industrial Control and Monitoring Systems.
Established in 2004 as an independent brand for a major manufacturer of networked Building Automation, this customer provides solutions based on market-leading technology, which is saving energy in more than 100 million homes and buildings worldwide.
Industrial Panel PCs with customised Window 7 Embedded Operating System (WES 7)
Building and heating and ventilation control system HMI (HVAC)
A distribution partner for the finished system approached BVM in 2008, looking for a more flexible solution to the standard system; improved software control from a more intelligent controller with a larger selection of screen sizes.
- The original system was rather dated and restricted in its functionality.
- Installation partners were unhappy with the limited range of controls it provided.
- The image was old fashioned and unreliable and was making sales difficult.
- A new supply of dependable up-to-date solutions was required with long term availability.
- The customer needed a reliable and secure customised operating system to run their front-end applications.
- Identified the product best suited to overcoming the reliability and supply limitations of the existing product.
- Developed a customised Windows 7 Embedded Image, incorporating a special network interface and customised on-screen keyboard. Implementation of the write filter prevented unauthorised modifications to the system.
- Provided updates to the image whenever requested and implemented an easy image update distribution mechanism.
- Well received customer experience with much higher reliability rates than previously achieved.
- Through customising a standard family of panel PCs as the base unit, a complete range of screen sizes and CPU performance levels are readily available to our client, removing the need for additional development and cost.
- The new unit has enabled our customer to achieve sales amounting to £6M in the 3 years since engaging BVM
- Distributors of our customer’s products have reported improved customer satisfaction levels since adopting BVM's new control system.
Was this case study helpful? Check out our design capabilities .