Streamline your embedded Industrial PC System Design
If your business involves the integration of an embedded PC (motherboard, box PC, Panel PC, SOM/COM module…etc), then you’ll know choosing the right operating system (O/S) is a primary consideration. BVM have over 30 years of experience in the field of embedded software services, with a particular focus on Microsoft Windows Embedded O/S images.
From the early days of OS-9 to the latest implementations with Windows 11 IoT Enterprise, we’ve provided customers with generic and bespoke O/S configurations – and deployment – for their embedded PC system designs.
Configuration, Integration, and Deployment
BVM offer a range of services, including:-
- Windows image capture from customers storage devices
- Linux & Android deployment from customer configured images
- Generic & bespoke embedded Windows images: configuration & deployment
- Management of revision updates
- Custom BIOS’s
Our team of experts can enable or disable specific Windows features to ensure their security and robustness of operating system. We can also integrate/embed your application within the operating system and configure advanced features to meet specific operation requirements.
Streamlining Your Embedded System Design
By leveraging BVM’s expertise in embedded software services, you can focus on other priorities within your day-to-day business needs. We can complete the O/S in its entirety – with a ready-to-run O/S environment incorporating your application for mass deployment. Alternatively, we can provide you with the guidance and advice needed to develop and configure your own image.
A Comprehensive Look at Windows 10 IoT and Windows 11 IoT
Windows 10 IoT: Features and Capabilities
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC (Long Term Service Channel) is a version of Windows 10 Professional, specifically designed for use in embedded devices and Internet of Things (IoT) applications to enable them to be more robust & streamlined in their running.
Features and capabilities of Windows 10 IoT include:-
- Universal Windows Platform (UWP): allows developers to create applications that can run on a wide range of devices, including desktop, laptop, tablet and IoT devices.
- Windows Runtime: This programming model enables developers to create applications using languages such as C+, Visual Basic and C++.
- Processor support: Windows 10 IoT supports a variety of processors, including ARM and x86 architectures.
- Security: Windows 10 IoT incorporates various security features such as Windows Defender, Secure Boot and Virtualisation-Based Security to protect against malware and other cyber threats.
- Connectivity: Windows 10 IoT provides support for a range of connectivity options such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and cellular networks.
Windows 11 IoT: New Features and Enhancements
Windows 11 IoT builds on the foundation of Windows 10 IoT and adds new features and enhancements. Features include:-
- TPM for Windows 11 Security: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0 is a system requirement for Windows 11. TPM can be used to encrypt storage drives in protecting data – inclusive of identity and operating system files, from cyber threats and physical theft.
- Windows Subsystem for Linux GUI: Windows 11 IoT Enterprise allows customers to take advantage of the Windows Subsystem for Linux GUI (WSLg), bringing Linux GUI applications to the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).
- Wi-Fi 6E Support: Windows 11 IoT Enterprise brings Wi-Fi 6E support to IoT devices, providing better wireless coverage, performance and security.
- USB 4.0 Support: Windows 11 IoT Enterprise provides support for Universal Serial Bus 4 (USB4), enabling faster data transfer rates and improved device connectivity.
Choosing the Right Operating System for Your IoT Project
While Windows 10 IoT and Windows 11 IoT are popular choices for embedded devices and IoT applications, there are other operating systems to consider as well. Linux and Android, for example, are two other popular options that offer a range of advantages and features.
Linux is an open-source operating system that can be customised to suit a wide range of devices and applications. It’s known for its stability & security and has a strong developer community that is constantly working to improve and enhance the platform. Some of the advantages of using Linux for embedded devices include:
- Customisability: Linux can be customised to suit the specific needs of an embedded device, making it a flexible option for developers.
- Security: Linux is known for its strong security features and is less susceptible to viruses and malware than other operating systems.
- Cost: Linux is free to use and distribute, making it an affordable choice for embedded device projects.
- Compatibility: Linux can run on a wide range of hardware, including x86, ARM and MIPS architectures.
Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google, designed to run on smartphones and tablets. However, it can also be used for embedded devices and IoT applications, that make it an alternative choice for embedded PC projects. Features and advantages of using Android for embedded devices include:
- User interface: Android has a user-friendly interface that’s easy to navigate making it an attractive option for end-users.
- Connectivity: Android includes support for a range of connectivity options inclusive of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and cellular networks.
- App ecosystem: Android has a vast app ecosystem, with a vast array of apps available for download from the Google Play Store – useful for developers who want to quickly & efficiently integrate third-party apps into their embedded device projects
Choose BVM Embedded Software Services for Your Operating System Needs
If you’re looking for a reliable partner to help you configure and deploy an embedded operating system for your particular application, talk with BVM around the range of embedded software services that we provide. With extensive years of experience, we can provide standard or tailored software ports to meet specific requirements.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 01489 780144 to learn more about how we can help. Our team of experts are always ready to provide you with the guidance and support to help in making the running of your device a more robust experience.
We like to make life easier ….
Our team of experts is always ready to provide you with the guidance and support you need to take your IoT devices to the next level. Contact us today and let’s get started!