What is an MXM module?
A Mobile PCI Express Module (MXM) is an interconnect standard for GPUs in laptops and embedded computers using PCI Express. The original goal was to create a non-proprietary, industry standard socket, so users could easily upgrade the graphics processor in a laptop, without having to buy a whole new system or relying on proprietary vendor upgrades. Where embedded MXM GPU modules are concerned for industrial usage, they can boost the performance of a wide range of workloads, including image processing & analysis, computing acceleration, and artificial intelligence. Embedded MXM GPU modules offer high performance, high data bandwidth, power efficiency and longevity support – all in a reduced hardware footprint which is consequently well-suited for size, weight and power constrained applications.
Embedded MXM GPU modules can increase system responsiveness and accuracy, as well as decrease latency and are an ideal fit for industrial automation, healthcare, transportation, aerospace and defence, gaming, and general communication applications.
Generational history & compatibility of MXM modules
First generation modules are not compatible with second generation modules and vice versa. First generation modules are fully backwards compatible.
1st Generation Configurations
Smaller graphics modules can be inserted into larger slots, but type I and II heatsinks will not fit type III and above or vice versa.
|MXM Type||Width||Length||Pins||Module Compatibility||Thermal Compatibility||Max. Power||Max. GPU size|
|MXM-II||73mm||78mm||230||I, II||II||35W||35×35 mm|
|MXM-III (HE)||82mm||100mm||230(232)||I, II, III||I, II, III||75W||40×40 mm|
|MXM-IV (Deprecated)||82mm||117mm||230||I, II, III, IV||I, II, III, IV|
2nd Generation Configurations
Smaller graphics modules can be inserted into larger slots. Heatsink mounting remains the same for type A and B modules.
|MXM Type||Width||Length||Module Compatibility||Thermal Compatibility||Max. Power||GPU memory bus|
|MXM-A||82mm||70mm||A||A||55W||64-bit or 128-bit|
|MXM-B||82mm||105mm||A, B||A, B||200W||256-bit|
MXM Modules: POWERING EMBEDDED DEVICES
Typical usage can be found in applications as diverse as ultrasound devices through to advanced digital displays and robotics, to name but a few. Modern day embedded GPU solutions (which at the centre of the modules capabilities) provide excellent performance and power efficiency whilst still retaining high quality output and reliability around up time. Regardless of industry, application or deployment environment, in today’s era embedded GPU solutions are designed to deliver both graphical and hard computing power – and now with age of Artificial Intelligence (AI), ‘deep learning’ AI capabilities to a wide variety of applications.
Here’s just a few examples around how todays latest versions of GPU modules are being utilised for a selection of industry verticals.
Computer vision capable robots and 3D printing devices powered by capable GPU’s can intelligently adapt to their environments, identify objects and then perform necessary tasks.
Medical and SMART Healthcare
GPU powered solutions for ultrasound, endoscopy, radiology (and more) deliver advanced visualisation to both static & compact, mobile devices for in the field use.
Military and Defence
Fast video processing and AI capabilities for rapid detection and response to security threats and natural disasters. Meet non-standard size, weight, and power requirements across a variety of devices.
Embedded MXM GPU Computers
Jetway Coffee Lake-S H310 LGA1151 Embedded Box PC with MXM Support
- Intel® LGA1151 Socket Core I3,I5,I7 Pentium Processor (Max 35W)
- Intel® Coffee Lake-S H310 Chip
- Support Dual Channel DDR4 2133MHz up to 32GB
- Support MXM Type A/B VGA Card(Type A or B, Max 75W)
- 1* M.2 E key Support CNVi, 1* M.2 B key Support 3G/4G Module
- 2* RS232 (COM1/2 Support 5V/12V TTL), 4* USB3.1, 4* USB2.0, 1* GbE, 4* HDMI, 2* DP, 1* eDP (By MXM)
- 12~36V DC-in
DFI VC300-CS AI-Enabled 5G MXM In-Vehicle System
- 8th/9th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors
- 4 x 802.3af POE Ports
- AI Accelerated: Up to 110W GPU MXM Module Supported
- Multiple Expansion Slots for 3G/LTE/5G Cellular Support
- Extended Operating Temperature: -25°C to 70°C
- Support 5G Communication
- 15-Year CPU Life Cycle Support Until Q1′ 34 (Based on Intel IOTG Roadmap)
Wincomm 23.8″ Medical Cart Panel PC With Swappable Battery
- Intel 7th generation Core i7/i5/i3/Celeron processor
- Highest Level EMC 4.0/ Safety 3.1 Certification Ready
- Integrated Hot-Swappable Batteries, 24/7 Run-Time
- MXM 3.0 Module by Project Support
- Support Intel vPro by Optional i7/i5 CPU
- M.2 type SATA SSD
- Support i-Control Management for Power /Thermal /Battery
- FHD Capture Card as Option
- Low Noise Smart Fan Solution
Embedded Motherboards and SBCs with MXM GPU Support
DFI CS181-Q370 8th/9th Gen Intel iCore MXM Mini-ITX Motherboard
- 8th/9th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors
- 2 DDR4 2400/2666MHz SODIMM up to 32GB
- Multiple Displays: 1 LVDS/eDP, 1 DP++/HDMI (autodetection), 4 DP
- Supports up to 4K/2K resolution
- Multiple Expansions: 1 MXM Type-A/B, 1 M.2 M Key, 1 M.2 B Key, 1 M.2 E Key
- Storage: 2 SATA 3.0
- Rich I/O: 6 Intel GbE, 2 COM, 4 USB 3.1 Gen2, 6 USB 2.0
- 15-Year CPU Life Cycle Support Until Q1′ 35 (Based on Intel IOTG Roadmap)
Asrock MXM IPC-Q370 9th/8th Gen (Coffee Lake-S) Micro-STX Motherboard
- Intel® 9th / 8th Gen (Coffee Lake-S) Core™ Processors with Q370 chipset
- 2 x 260-pin SO-DIMM up to 64GB DDR4 2666 MHz (32GB per DIMM)
- 1 x MXM PCIe x16 (Gen3), 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1, 3 x USB 2.0, 2 x M.2 Key M, 1 x M.2 Key E, 1 x COM, 2 x SATA3
- 2 x Intel Gigabit LAN
- Supports Hexa Display, 5 x DP 1.2, 1 x VGA, 1 x eDP
- TPM Header
- 19 DC-In
We like to make life easier ….
BVM is a supplier and systems integrator of industrial PC solutions – providing a variety of solutions utilising the latest processor technologies on an equally wide variety of platforms. Our technical & commercial team members will always provide you with valuable but impartial advice around any of the products and services that we supply. With their collective backgrounds in design and manufacturing, they’ll provide you with the benefit of their knowledge and experiences when & where you need it. We’ll always help you in the first instance and get back to you where follow-up information is required.