What is Ignition Control on a Vehicle Computer?
Ignition control refers to a feature found in industrial and embedded computers specifically designed for use in vehicles. It enables seamless power management and control of the computer system based on the vehicle’s ignition status. This means that when the vehicle’s ignition is turned on, the computer automatically powers up, and when the ignition is turned off, the computer safely shuts down or enters a low-power state.
The purpose of ignition control is to ensure reliable performance and enhanced safety in in-vehicle computing applications. By synchronizing the power state of the computer with the vehicle’s ignition, it prevents accidental power loss or improper shutdown, which can lead to data corruption, system instability and potential damage to the computer components.
Ignition control plays a crucial role in various industries and applications where reliable computing is required on the move. It is commonly used in automotive systems, public transportation, logistics and delivery services, and other mobile environments. By incorporating ignition control into in-vehicle computers, users can experience uninterrupted operation, efficient power management and improved overall performance in their computing applications while maintaining compatibility with the vehicle’s power system.
Applications Using Ignition Control
- Automotive: Vehicle PCs with ignition control are widely used in the automotive industry for applications such as infotainment systems, fleet management, telematics and driver assistance.
- Public Transportation: Buses, trains and trams rely on vehicle PCs with ignition control for passenger information systems, ticketing, surveillance and communication.
- Logistics and Delivery: vehicle PCs equipped with ignition control play a crucial role in logistics and delivery services, enabling real-time tracking, route optimization and proof of delivery.
Key Features of a Vehicle PC
- Ignition Control: In-vehicle PCs with ignition control can automatically power on and off based on the vehicle’s ignition status, ensuring efficient power management and preventing accidental power loss.
- Wide Power Input: These computers are designed to accept a wide range of voltage inputs, allowing them to withstand fluctuations and variations in the vehicle’s power supply.
- Wide Temperature Range: Vehicle PCs are built to operate reliably in extreme temperature conditions, with a wide temperature range to withstand both hot and cold environments.
- Shock and Vibration Resistance: These rugged computing systems are engineered to withstand the vibrations and shocks experienced during vehicle operation, ensuring uninterrupted performance.
- Connectivity and Expansion: vehicle PCs offer various connectivity options, including wireless communication, GPS, CAN bus, and other interfaces, allowing seamless integration with vehicle systems and peripherals.
Unlock the full potential of your vehicle computing requirements with BVM
With over 30 years of experience in designing, manufacturing and supplying industrial and embedded computer equipment, we offer a comprehensive range of solutions tailored to your needs. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01489 780144 to discuss your IPC requirements and find the perfect ignition-controlled in-vehicle PC for your application.
In-Vehicle PCs | Intelligent Transportation
In-Vehicle PCs and Intelligent Transportation Embedded Systems available with Intel i3 / i5 / i7 / Celeron / ATOM CPU’s. Tested under extreme temperature conditions and designed to withstand the shock and vibration that comes with driving a vehicle. All our In-Vehicle and Intelligent Transportation solutions meet the demands of harsh working environments.
In-Vehicle Panel PCs | Vehicle Mount Computers
In-Vehicle Panel PCs are engineered to endure the shocks and vibrations experienced when driving. They’re designed to operate within a wide temperature range and support an input voltage range of 9-36 volts DC. Additionally, they feature ignition control, and delay on/off features, enabling seamless integration within vehicles. They can be easily installed using VESA or Panel mount, providing flexibility and ease of setup.
Trust BVM for reliable and robust industrial vehicle computing solutions.
We like to make life easier ….
Our technical & commercial team members will always provide you with valuable but impartial advice around the products and services that BVM provide. With their collective backgrounds, they’ll provide you with the benefit of their knowledge and experiences when & where you need it. We’ll always help you in the first instance and get back to you when additional information is required.