BVM’s embedded ‘Design to Order’ services are there to take your ideas from concept to initial designs and prototyping – culminating in manufacturable products.
Our OEM Design to Order processes are adaptable so they can be applied to products suitable for a variety of industrial application purposes – or even harsh environments, specialist use – where operation and maximum up-time in wide & diverse temperature and environmental extremes are unavoidable. Our designs can be made to be shock resistant, dust and waterproof (IP certified) – and optimised for 24/7 running for both hardware and operating system software.
The right choice of Industrial PC Components provide for long production availabilities of your product, typically between 5 and 7 years. We can also extend designs for longer availabilities allowing your product to be manufactured for the years beyond those typically expected for an industrial design; BVM materials management services, ensures the whole process of a design’s constituent components reaching end of life and the process of selection and adoption of the next generation of component is seamless as it transfers into the production environment.
The design process………
At BVM, we pride ourselves in our ability to gather a clear understanding of our clients product’s needs, right from the start. We immediately derive a ‘Requirement Specification’ – which is our memorandum of understanding (‘MOR’) in making sure we’re of the prior knowledge of:-
- How you want your product to function; the features and services it needs to provide in order for it to compete in intended markets.
- Products aesthetics; it’s looks and feel
- Time to market and budgetary considerations
Because we’ve honed our skills over the 30 years plus that we’ve existed, our ‘Build to Order’ team know what makes a successful design (and just as importantly, what doesn’t) around the requirements of an embedded system.
These are just a selection of the areas where we’ll apply our skills to during the Design to Order process :-
- Considerations needed for the power budget of the system
- Thermal management – heat dissipation
- Design for Manufacturability and Test
- Component selection for extension of lifetime availability for your product
- Obsolescence; management of End of Life (EOL) and Last Time Procurement processes
Not until your sign off of the Requirement Specification does the detailed design work begin – resulting in concepts, the follow on of initial designs – all resulting in the production of a “proof of concept” (PoC) – a working unit to verify your application software’s functionality, aesthetics (the all-round look & feel of your product) and, of course, budget.
We can follow the proof of concept by further producing pre-production/field trial prototypes to further verify the design for manufacturability and testability. From start to finish, the whole process is defined by BVM’s Quality Management System which is audited and certified to comply with ISO-9001 -2015.
“A successful product not only requires a competent functional design……
….it also needs to be designed for manufacture.”
At BVM we have an established history of design and manufacture of embedded computer boards. From the early days of VMEbus board design through to Compact PCI and PMC Module design. In today’s world, BVM frequently custom carrier designs for bespoke solutions – also including System On Module (SOM) applications using Computer on Modules (COM) such as COM Express (Type 6, 7 and 10) and Qseven. We also produce custom power supply units, too – where & when the situation requires it.
Not everything ‘off the shelf’ will be a fit for your specific application – which is fine, quite often one size doesn’t fit all. With our CAD design team using the very latest in 3D modelling software, BVM engineering will custom design solutions to provide for the exact heat dissipation needed – whilst also ensuring any ingress protection needs are looked after, if needs be. Typically, this takes the consideration of the housing & accommodation of the motherboard, TFT displays with integrated touch, peripheral cabling for data communication (LVDS) and backlighting – and any other embedded supporting devices where needed to aid your application.
BVM has an experienced team of operatives with the ability to manufacture and build the most complex cable harnesses, wiring looms – and provide ‘box build – from simple control boxes, power & distribution boxes to more complex systems. From the initial design, prototyping, production & test – through to delivery, every member of our team is committed to getting it right first time – produced to exacting standards, time after time.
More and more of the products we use in our everyday lives require a means of interaction via their display output. At BVM we have the ability to integrate the touch screen solution that’s befitting your application, so whether you need single point of touch or full ’10 point’ interactivity with on screen gesturing (‘flick, zoom, pinch’) – we’ll integrate the touch solution that provides functionality you need. In addition, we also provide other display enhancement services, ensuring your product can always be seen and read within their surrounding environment lighting conditions.
Our projects have included:-
- Advanced PCI Express peripherals and expansion bridges.
- High specification PCI Express splitter devices to allow multiple devices to be driven from standard embedded motherboards
- Baseboards for Computer-on-Module processor boards, such as COM Express and Qseven implementing customers I/O & display requirements onto the baseboard and allowing processing to be handled by a standard module.
Design for Manufacture (Design for Manufacturability or DFM) is the engineering process of designing products to ensure they’re efficient to manufacture.
Our design team plan a level of detail during both the initial concept and prototype phases – well before any level of product volume is reached. During the initial design processes, the design will be refined and honed along the way to make it suitable for repeatable production.
Our designs will always consider:-
- Set up and tooling costs
- Volume production costs
- Maintenance costs
- Environmental effects
BVM’s Design for Manufacture processes will always allow every commercial (and technical) consideration to be identified within design phase, the most cost-effective place to catch & address everything.
Design | Develop | Test | Manufacture
Here’s a selection of our design, manufacturing
& associated services: –
- Prototyping – Custom PC Design, Custom Panel PC, Custom Racks or Custom Peli Case PC
- Prototyping pre checks (chargeable one-time fee for existing prototype)
- Hardware compatibility
- Thermal testing
- Software compatibility
- Custom PCB / Board Design
- Custom Chassis Design
- Custom Cables
- Custom Back Panels and Faceplates
- Custom Cooling
- Custom Metal Work (internal brackets, mounting brackets)
- Touchscreen Integration and Display Enhancements
- Software – Custom OS Image
- Custom specification (CPU, Ram, I/O, Storage)
- Chassis customisation and branding
- Custom BIOS
- Software – Custom OS Image
- Custom Packaging and branding
- Integrating newly designed or existing hardware into a larger system
- Windows image capture from customers HDD
- Linux image capture from customers HDD
- Windows / Linux Deployment from customers image
- Custom Windows images, create and deploy
- Update management
- Custom Linux and Android images?
- Custom BIOS
We like to make life easier ….
Our technical & commercial team members will always provide you with valuable but impartial advice around the products and services that BVM supplies. With their collective backgrounds, they’ll provide you with the benefit of their knowledge and experiences when & where you need it. We’ll always help you in the first instance and get back to you when additional information is required.