To meet the regulatory requirements of the defence industry, Military IPC Solutions need to undergo rigorous testing to ensure their safety (security) and performance for indoor and in-field military exercise, withstanding of the demands that tough environments can face a solution with.
Typically, the following are parameters that will be measured against for a miltary based PC solution to be operational within :-
Extreme environmental condition
For MIL-STD 810G compliance; where products that have been tested & tried to operate within extreme environmental conditions; high and low temperature with resistance to shock & vibration for long periods of time and high humidity.
For MIL-STD 461F compliance, detailed testing specifications need to be provided in confirmation that the PC product meets the requirements for the control of electromagnetic interference.
Unstable power supply
Power supply units able to handle wide power input and isolation to protect devices from power surges is a generally a must.
Systems to need to avoid any constant or sudden damage from in-field/ environmental vibration, which means the system itself, is able to maintain its functionality while not sustaining any physical damage.
Where resistance to vibration maters, military PC systems should be approved to US military standard, MIL-STD-810F-514.5, C1 / C2 / C3 vibration – possessing M12 connectors IO to enable high reliability in coping with the intensity of field demands of not only military – but transportation and certain applications within industrial automation.
Unstable Power Supply and Temperature
Systems must remain stable, even when the power input changes (typically possessing the ability to operate across a wide range of DC-IN voltages). Systems are often to be found with aluminum chassis and are excellent in operation of temperatures ranging between -40°C to 60°C.
MIL-STD-461 is a United States Military Standard that describes how to test equipment for electromagnetic compatibility.
Specifically, MIL-STD-461F details testing specification to ensure the conducted emissions (CE), conducted susceptibility (CS), radiated emissions (RE), and radiated susceptibility (RS) of a system can meet the requirements for the control of electromagnetic interference.
- MIL-STD-461 Method – CE101/CE102: Conducted Emissions
- MIL-STD-461 Method – RE101/RE102: Radiated Emissions
- MIL-STD-461 Method – CS101/CS106/CS109/CS114/CS115/CS116: Conducted Susceptibility
- MIL-STD-461 Method – RS101/RS103: Radiated Susceptibility
The MIL-STD-810 test series are approved for use by all departments and agencies of the United States Department of Defense (DoD).
The standard describes environmental management and engineering processes that can be of enormous value to generate confidence in the environmental worthiness and overall durability of a system design.
- MIL-STD-810 Method 501.4: High Temperature
- MIL-STD-810 Method 502.4: Low Temperature
- MIL-STD-810 Method 507.4: Humidity
- MIL-STD-810 Method 514.5: Vibration
- MIL-STD-810 Method 516.5: Shock
Typically, military panel PCs and displays come with MIL-DTL-38999 type I and III connectors – high-performance cylindrical connectors for cable-to-panel applications in military, air traffic controller, or situations where there optimisation of device ‘up time’ is paramount.
Products – Panel PC
For a truly befitting military application, Panel PC products need to have the following processes and features provided to them :-
- Extensive OEM manufacturer environmental testing to ensure reliable operational performance in wide temperature extremes and high humidity conditions for in field use.
- Military grade connectors.
- Aluminum housings with anti-corrosion treatment
- Convenient user controls with capacitive OSD or physical buttons for display control
- Optical bonding with anti-reflective or anti-glare touch, optional EMI coating – for ease of display readability for environmental lighting conditions.
- Dimming adjustment from 0 % ~100 % for display brightness control
Typically, the products being sought after for a military applications will quite often cross over to the products found in our Harsh Condition and Transportation (Land, Sea, Rail and Air) sections. Our advice at BVM would be speak to us first – as there may be a product that serves your application already fit for harsh environment operation, possessing the prerequisite certifications you need.
If you cant find the Military and Defence IPC Solutions you are looking for, visit our Design Service pages or Contact Us today. You can call us directly on +(0) 1489 780 144 and talk to one of the team. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form below.