To meet the regulatory requirements of the defence industry, Military IPC Solutions need to undergo rigorous testing to ensure their safety (security) and performance for indoor and in-field military exercise, withstanding of the demands that tough environments can face a solution with.
Typically, the following are parameters that will be measured against for a military based PC solution to be operational within :-
For MIL-STD 461F compliance, detailed testing specifications need to be provided in confirmation that the PC product meets the requirements for the control of electromagnetic interference.
Unstable Power Supply
Power supply units able to handle wide power input and isolation to protect devices from power surges is a generally a must.
Extreme Environmental Condition
For MIL-STD 810G compliance; where products that have been tested & tried to operate within extreme environmental conditions; high and low temperature with resistance to shock & vibration and high humidity.
Systems to need to avoid any constant or sudden damage from in-field/ environmental vibration, which means the system itself, is able to maintain its functionality while not sustaining any physical damage.
Where resistance to vibration maters, military PC systems should be approved to US military standard, MIL-STD-810F-514.5, C1 / C2 / C3 vibration – possessing M12 connectors I/O to enable high reliability in coping with the intensity of field demands of not only military – but transportation and certain applications within industrial automation.
Unstable Power Supply and Temperature
Systems must remain stable, even when the power input changes (typically possessing the ability to operate across a wide range of DC-IN voltages). Systems are often to be found with aluminium chassis and are excellent in operation of temperatures ranging between -40°C to 60°C.
MIL-STD-461 is a United States Military Standard that describes how to test equipment for electromagnetic compatibility.
Specifically, MIL-STD-461F details testing specification to ensure the conducted emissions (CE), conducted susceptibility (CS), radiated emissions (RE), and radiated susceptibility (RS) of a system can meet the requirements for the control of electromagnetic interference.
- MIL-STD-461 Method – CE101/CE102: Conducted Emissions
- MIL-STD-461 Method – RE101/RE102: Radiated Emissions
- MIL-STD-461 Method – CS101/CS106/CS109/CS114/CS115/CS116: Conducted Susceptibility
- MIL-STD-461 Method – RS101/RS103: Radiated Susceptibility
The MIL-STD-810 test series are approved for use by all departments and agencies of the United States Department of Defense (DoD).
The standard describes environmental management and engineering processes that can be of enormous value to generate confidence in the environmental worthiness and overall durability of a system design.
- MIL-STD-810 Method 501.4: High Temperature
- MIL-STD-810 Method 502.4: Low Temperature
- MIL-STD-810 Method 507.4: Humidity
- MIL-STD-810 Method 514.5: Vibration
- MIL-STD-810 Method 516.5: Shock
Typically, military panel PCs and displays come with MIL-DTL-38999 type I and III connectors – high-performance cylindrical connectors for cable-to-panel applications in military, air traffic controller, or situations where their optimisation of device ‘up time’ is paramount.
Portable, Ruggedized PC Solutions with touchscreen interactivity…….
Where expertise is needed in providing ‘system in a case’ PC solutions, look no further than BVM’s range of Peli case PC systems. Where a demanding, tough environmental conditions calls for a portable industrial PC system that’s highly ruggedised in its design whilst still remaining light in weight, BVM can produce Pelicase designs on individual basis to securely house your PC system of choice.
Portable Peli Case PCs
- They’re a great alternative to rugged laptops or tablets – providing better protection, IP rating (if required) and space for custom electronics and selectable I/O.
- They’re a good solution for combining instrumentation and computing in one rugged and portable package
- Good value where a bespoke – rugged embedded computer solution with HMI is being sought, one that can be protected from its immediate environment.
All designs and configurations are an example of solutions we’ve produced for our customers
and will hopefully serve to provide you with an idea of what we can produce.
Touchscreen Panel PCs
For a truly befitting military application, Panel PC products need to have the following processes and features provided to them :-
- Extensive environmental testing to ensure reliable operational performance in wide temperature extremes and high humidity conditions for in field use.
- Military grade connectors.
- Aluminium housings with anti-corrosion treatment
- Convenient user controls with capacitive OSD or physical buttons for display control
- Optical bonding with anti-reflective or anti-glare touch, optional EMI coating – for ease of display readability for environmental lighting conditions.
- Dimming adjustment from 0 % ~100 % for display brightness control
Typically, the products being sought after for a military applications will quite often cross over to the products found in our Harsh Condition and Transportation (Land, Sea, Rail and Air) sections. Our advice at BVM would be speak to us first – as there may be a product that serves your application already fit for harsh environment operation, possessing the prerequisite certifications you need.
Rugged Panel PCs
Ruggedized or Harsh Environment Panel PCs are typically used where Wide Temperature diversity is needed in operation (-40°C to +85°C) and/or where the supply of input voltage can vary or be erratic; ruggedized panel PCs typically can accept 9V-36V DC in. BVM can provide 7″ to 24″ TFT display solutions with PCAP or resistive touch input – and screen readability enhancement features such as high bright LED backlighting, optical bonding and anti-glare or anti-reflecting coatings.
In-Vehicle Panel PCs
BVM’s In-vehicle Panel PCs solutions are designed to withstand the everyday shock and vibration of vehicle driving and can be viewed from almost any angle through their wide angle viewing capabilities and high bright backlighting. Equipped with wide input voltage (9-36volts DC in), wide storage temperature (-30°C to +80°C) and e-marking certification (E13 certification) and ignition control and delay on/off, our in-vehicle panel PC solutions are easy to install (VESA or panel mount).
BVM’s portfolio of module solutions provide for the countering of environments containing elements such as moisture, salt, dust and the presence of chemicals. With conformal coating protection applied, high-performance modules can still operate in the most of challenging environments. The coating protects circuits and components from abrasion, electrical short circuits and increases MTBF performance.
Rapid change in temperature can also be a cause of system failure – with the extremities of high and low temperatures being reached. To function properly, systems and components need to be able to operate under a wide variety of those environmental conditions. BVM can offer modules based on the diversity of Intel’s 8th generation core (Whiskey Lake) through to the Atom E3900 series – able to sustain ‘up time’ in the temperature range of -40°C to +85°C. Fanless module solutions are targeted at power-efficient systems that require higher MTBF performance.
System-On-Module products are the ideal solution for many space-constrained applications
where the build-up of heat within the operating environment can become an issue.
System-On-Modules and Carrier Boards
COM/SOM modules are ideal for applications where product time to market and longevity of solution are critical to your business. Today’s COM modules mainly come in two main formats; COM Express (COMe) in Mini, Compact, Basic and Qseven.
Plugged into carrier boards (baseboard), they can be upgraded to newer, backwards-compatible versions as processor technology capability progresses. COM/SOM modules are typically used in Industrial, military, aerospace, gaming, medical and transportation.
AI-based Military and Defence Solutions
Artificial intelligence (AI) is being implemented by the military and defence industry to improve efficiency, reduce costs and enhance security. AI-powered technologies such as intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, autonomous systems, cybersecurity and logistics and supply chain management systems are being developed and implemented to identify potential threats, improve the speed and efficiency of operations, reduce the risk to human soldiers, defend against cyber attacks, detect and respond to potential threats and optimize operations and reduce costs. AI is expected to revolutionize the military and defence industry and bring significant changes in how these industries operate.
The Impact of Artificial Intelligence in Industrial Automation
Here are a few examples of how artificial intelligence (AI) is used is being used in military and defence:
- Autonomous weapons systems: AI can be used to enable weapons systems to operate without human intervention. This can include everything from drones and missiles to tanks and other ground vehicles. AI can be used to help these systems navigate, target and engage threats, improving the effectiveness of military operations.
- Intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance: AI can be used to analyse data from sensors and other sources to identify patterns and trends that may be relevant to military operations. This can include everything from analysing satellite images to tracking the movements of enemy forces. AI can help to improve situational awareness and allow military commanders to make more informed decisions.
- Cybersecurity: AI can be used to detect and prevent cyber-attacks, helping to protect military networks and systems from being compromised. AI can be used to analyse network traffic and identify patterns that may indicate an attack is underway, allowing for rapid response and remediation.
- Language translation: AI can be used to translate spoken or written language in real time, allowing military personnel to communicate with individuals who speak different languages. This can be particularly useful in situations where there are language barriers, such as during peacekeeping or humanitarian missions.
- Training and simulation: AI can be used to create realistic simulations and training environments that can help military personnel to prepare for a wide range of scenarios. This can include everything from battlefield simulation to the simulation of aircraft or ship systems.
The hardware required to support artificial intelligence (AI) can vary depending on the specific application and the type of AI being used. Some AI algorithms are computationally intensive and require powerful hardware to run effectively.
Deep learning algorithms, which are used for tasks such as image and speech recognition, typically require specialised hardware such as graphics processing units (GPUs) to run efficiently. GPUs are designed to perform the complex matrix calculations that are required for deep learning – and they can be much faster than traditional central processing units (CPUs) at these types of tasks.
Other types of AI, such as rule-based systems, may not require as much computational power and can be run on standard CPUs.
BVM Design and Manufacturing Services
The manufacturer behind the solutions you know
When a standard embedded design won’t suffice for what you need, you can always turn to BVM for help and use our custom design and manufacturing services. Our custom designs are implemented against an ISO 9001-2015 quality management system. Important aspects to the design’s potential – such as power delivery, thermal management, vibration & shock and EMC (for the application of any necessary certifications) are all accounted for at the early stages of a product’s design.
And pivotal to everything we design is the products ability to be efficiently manufactured on a repeatable basis.
Case Study: PCIe Mini-card Carrier Module
Working with a long-term customer, BVM were ask to produce a custom PCB carrier design housing & utlising twelve PCIe mini-cards in combination with a mid-range graphics card.
Case Study: Surveillance – Forensic Data Capture Peli Case PC
A portable system that could be used by police and military customers to interrogate mobile phones and data cards for evidence collection purposes.
Customisation, Performance and Reliability.
Our 24/7 Embedded Systems never need resuscitation.
• Customization: With our production & manufacturing facilities located on the South Coast of England BVM’s embedded solutions can provided your specification of choice – services ranging from the integration of standard components, selection and fitting of system enclosures through to the creation of bespoke designs with custom electronics and metalwork. See how we have helped these applications and provided solutions in the past with some of our success stories.
• Performance: Our industrial and embedded systems are available with a wide range of industrial components. With CPU’s ranging from Intel Celeron to the latest Intel Core series CPU’s, memory, high performance storage solutions and more.
• Reliability: Built from the highest quality industrial components BVM’s industrial and embedded systems are designed to run 24/7 even in the harshest of environments.
Design | Develop | Test | Manufacture
Here’s a selection of our design, manufacturing & associated services: –
For customers designing a brand-new product from scratch
or working with an existing prototype.
- Prototyping – Custom PC Design
- Prototyping pre checks
- Hardware compatibility
- Thermal testing
- Software compatibility
- Custom PCB / Carrier Board Design
- COM Express, Qseven, SMARC
- Jetson, Raspberry Pi
- Custom Chassis Design
- Custom Cables
- Custom Back Panels and Faceplates
- Custom Cooling
- Custom Metal Work (internal brackets, mounting brackets)
- Touchscreen Integration and Display Enhancements
- Custom LCD Displays
- Integration of touch technologies
- Optical Bonding
- Anti-reflective and anti-glare coatings
- Software – Custom OS Image
- All products are Designed for Manufacture
Take an existing system and we can:
- Custom specification (CPU, RAM, I/O, Industrial-Grade Storage, RAID)
- Chassis customisation and branding
- Custom BIOS
- Long Term Availability
- Software – Custom OS Image
- Custom Packaging and branding
- Integrating newly designed or existing hardware into a larger system
Porting, Integration & Deployment
We like to make life easier ….
Our supporting team have all worked in industrial and embedded environments for a number of years, consequently providing knowledge, experience and good advice around all BVM’s products & services when and where you need it. We don’t profess to know everything you need at the time – but we’ll always help in the first instance and get back to you when a little more information is required.