Intel Elkhart Lake, the Latest Atom X6000, Pentium, and Celeron CPUs
for the Next Generation of IoT Edge Devices
Elkhart Lake, IoT and BVM
Intel continues to put its weight behind developing new processor solutions supporting the current needs and growing interest for IoT (Internet of Things) computing. ‘Elkhart Lake’ is the current, collective name behind Intel’s latest range of processors in the Atom X6000E and Pentium and Celeron N & J series processors.
Specifically designed to provide support behind the following, the Elkhart Lake series processors come with ‘onboard’ integrated IoT features to give :-
- Real time performance
- Remote management
- Functional safety
All of the above provides new tools for BVM as a provider of standard & bespoke embedded PC solutions to solve the latest technology challenges in traditional verticals such as industrial automation and manufacturing.
One feature of note is Elkhart Lakes ability to drive high end graphical performances, supporting up to three 4K pixel (UHD) displays simultaneously which is something that could only be completed by Intel’s Core processor solutions until now.
Elkhart Lake x6000 Series Processors
To support the next generation of IoT edge devices, Intel has developed a new line of processors enhanced for IoT—The Intel Atom x6000E Series, Intel Pentium, and Intel Celeron N and J Series processors. These processors build on new levels of CPU, and graphics performances with integrated IoT features, real-time performance, manageability, security, and functional safety.
Elkhart Lake Key Features:
- Performance Up to a 1.7x improvement in single-thread performance and up to a 1.5x improvement in multi-thread performance generation over generation. Up to 2x performance improvement in graphics over previous generation.
- Next-generation graphics Take a huge leap forward in graphics capabilities with Intel UHD Graphics. With the ability to drive a maximum resolution of 4kp60 on up to three simultaneous displays, it is a first for this family of processors.
- Integration and flexibility Leverage a dedicated offload engine with the Intel Programmable Services Engine (Intel PSE). Powered by an Arm* Cortex-M7 microcontroller, it provides independent, low-DMIPs computing and low-speed I/Os for IoT applications. It also hosts new functions like remote, out-of-band device management, network proxy, embedded controller, and sensor hub.
- Remote device management Monitor and manage devices using in-band capability through Wi-Fi or wired ethernet to perform remote firmware and software updates. When OS is unresponsive, use out-of-band manageability through wired ethernet.
- Meet functional safety requirements: The Intel Safety Island With functional safety capabilities integrated into the silicon, the Intel Atom x6000FE Series industrial processors meet IEC 61508 and ISO 13849 requirements (SIL2/Cat.3 PL d certified, SIL3/Cat.4 PL e capable) for functional safety.
- Integrated connectivity Easily provide high speed connectivity with three integrated 2.5GbE MAC’s all with time sensitive networking (TSN) capability.
- Up to 3.0 GHz max frequency
- 4.5-12W TDP
- LPDDR4/x-4267, DDR4-3200 memory
- In-band error correction code with standard memory
- Intel UHD Graphics, 4kp60 on three simultaneous displays
- Intel Programmable Services Engine, dedicated offload engine
- In-band and out-of-band remote device manageability
- Functional safety with Intel Safety Island (on select SKUs)
- Hardware-based security
Potential Areas of Deployment for Elkhart Lake
Industrial systems often operate in an “always on” state, requiring high levels of reliability and uptime that require making operations smarter, more connected, and more autonomous.
Enable capabilities such as facial recognition for authentication at ATMs or intelligent vending machines, object detection for cashier-free checkout, people counting, and audience analytics.
Transport and Smart City
Put data to work to enable environmental monitoring, smart lighting, mobility, public kiosks, and other solutions for smart cities. Intel technologies, including AI, vision, and connectivity, deliver exceptional performance from edge to cloud.
Medical and Healthcare
Leading hospitals are using data analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence to identify which patients are most at risk so they can respond more swiftly to life-threatening events.
Latest Elkhart Lake Products
ASRock Industrial COM-1001 Elkhart Lake COM Express Mini
IEI DRPC-W-JL Fanless Jasper Lake DIN-Rail Embedded System
IEI AFL4-EHL 7″ – 13.3″ Elkhart Lake Light Industrial Panel PC Series
Winmate 10″ – 19″ IP67 Stainless Resistive Chassis Elkhart Lake Panel PC Series
Neousys Nuvo-2615RL EN50155 & EN45545 Elkhart Lake x6425E Railway Computer
ASRock Industrial iBOX-250J Elkhart Lake Fanless BOX PC
Jetway HB368F21-6412-AI Fanless Elkhart Lake Box PC with Hailo-8 AI
Jetway HB368F21-6412-W Fanless Elkhart Lake Box PC
Intel Elkhart Lake Products
The IoT Evolution: A Closer Look at IIoT, AIoT and MIoT
In this article, we take a closer look at four key types of IoT: Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), Artificial Intelligence of Things (AIoT), Cellular Internet of Things (CIoT) and Mobile Internet of Things (MIoT).
Comparing Cloud Services: Microsoft Azure vs. Amazon Web Services vs. Google Cloud
We take a closer look at the different cloud services offered by Microsoft Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud and compare them in terms of features, pricing, and performance.
IoT Hardware Development: From Concept to Creation
Learn how BVM can help you design and develop IoT hardware. Discover the power of AIoT and how it can enhance your IoT devices and take your IoT project to the next level with BVM’s expertise.
We like to make life easier ….
Our technical & commercial team members will always provide you with valuable but impartial advice around the products and services that BVM supplies. With their collective backgrounds, they’ll provide you with the benefit of their knowledge and experiences when & where you need it. We’ll always help you in the first instance and get back to you when additional information is required.