Portable Industrial PC Solution for Ocean and Coastal Surveying – all in a box !
A BVM Case Study
Introduction to the Customer
For over half a century, our customer has been at the forefront of pioneering technology for underwater exploration . Their unparalleled expertise spans the domains of offshore energy, maritime defence and ocean sciences – ensuring underwater work where navigation, positioning, communication, imaging and measuring, operational in any water depth for any duration – and from any operational platform – crewed or robotic, can be conducted safely and without risk.
As part of advancing their line-up of defence products, our client sought an innovative solution in the format a ruggedised Portable PC to oversee & control the operations of Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) deployed in the challenging external conditions provided at sea. PC functionality was to remain consistently reliable within a temperature range spanning from -20°C to a scorching +50°C – and an absolute paramount need for waterproofing to high levels of (certified) ingress protection.
BVM provided a bespoke Portable PC solution housed in a light weight Pelicase (PELI 1400) featuring a 7” capacitive projective touchscreen interface. Other central elements consisting of the design, included :
- ARM iMX 7 Computer-on-module: providing the PC engine for the system, the iMX7 module brought both extensive computing power to suit current & future proofing needs with low power to keep heat dissipation to a minimum within the Pelicase – accompanied via a custom carrier PCB to bring out specific waterproof i/o to the outside world in the format of :-
- USB 1 x USB 2.0 Type A
- Serial 1x Serial DB9 Connector
- Sound : 1x Waterproof Speaker/Driver
- Network : 2x Panel Mounted RJ45 Lan Connector
- Power : 1x Panel mounted Power-In Connector
- Transceiver Connection : 1x 8-way Transceiver connector
- 7” projective touchscreen : 1000 Nit LED backlit TFT to provide complete clarity of information in extreme daylight conditions at sea – integrated with a projective capacitive touchscreen to provide control and emulation of modern-day smartphone & tablet devices to ensure a ‘familiar experience’ for user interactivity with the software application.
- GNSS Receiver: The inclusion of a Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) receiver to empower precise positioning & accuracy for the ROV, utilising TW1422 GPS/GNSS Antenna
- 12 & 24V DC Input: Ensuring adaptability to various power sources, the Portable PC was equipped to handle both 12V and 24V DC inputs.
- Storage temperature: -30°C to +70°C
- Operating temperature: -20°C to +55°C
- Ingress protected to IP67 as standard in storage – with the lid closed
- Ingress Protected to IP66 as standard during operation – with the lid open
- Salt fog resistant
- Height drop resistivity: 30”
- EMC testing standard:
- BS EN 60945:2002 Emissions and Immunity
- BS EN 61000-6-1:2019 (Immunity)
- Regarding GNSS Receiver: (assuming pre-approved module being used)
- EN 301 489-1 v2.2.0
- EN 301 489-19 V2.1.1
- EN 303 413 V1.1.1
- Testing for CE Mark
- IP66 lid open
- IP67 lid closed
- Salt fog
- Storage temperature: -20°C to 60°C
- Operating temperature: -20°C to 55°C
- Drop Test: survive 30” drop
- Vibration: (topside IEC 60945 section 8.7)
Unlock the future of industrial computing with BVM…….
Elevate your next industrial computing or embedded design project by utilising the benefits that can be gained via BVM’s 30 years plus of expertise in the design & manufacture of bespoke industrial PC systems. Our dedicated team stands ready to collaborate, innovate and produced tailored solutions that you’re your exacting application needs.