Bringing Conceptual Ideas to Life With Product Creation
Bringing an idea for a bespoke industrial computer or embedded system design to life can be a challenging process. It requires expertise in hardware and software design, manufacturing and testing, as well as a deep understanding of the unique requirements of the application at hand.
BVM have over 30 years of experience in the management of the design and manufacturing process, from concept beginnings right through to the creation of a manufacturable product. Our engineering & production teams will work with you throughout the design process to understand the requirements that matter to you and develop a custom solution that meets your needs.
BVM’s Design and Manufacturing Process; Concept, Design, Create
Designing an industrial computer or embedded system requires a deep understanding of a customer’s unique requirements and the environment the solution will be deployed in.
The design process can start with a just a concept or idea; anything from a simple sketch, a documented requirement specification – or even an existing prototype or production design that needs to be improved upon.
From there, our concept to design process is a collaborative one. We work closely with you always with an eye on the final design and that the steps along the way are geared to meet key objectives, such as the products thermal management or being compliant with specific industry standards, such as UKCA and FCC – and the products test regime on completion of manufacture.
Moving on from product concept and starting the journey towards designing PC prototype(s) and other custom hardware such as PCBs, Cables, and Enclosures are the vital next stages of your products evolution :-
- Prototypes: BVM will design functional prototypes to creating a working industrial PC model of the product you envisage going forwards to production. On producing the prototype, this is used for testing and validation with regards to any criteria that you specify needs to be met. Additionally, the prototype will be used to further hone the design process, being used for further development with the aim in reaching a production ready product.
Quite often, the prototype will involve other specific custom elements in order to provide your product with the functionality it needs, inclusive of :-
- Custom PCB’s: BVM can design custom printed circuit boards (PCBs) inclusive of creating PCB schematics & layouts to optimise circuit performance, minimise component count, conform to product size improve reliability & serviceability – all via our in-house CAD system, Altium.
- Custom Cables and Enclosures / Chassis: Where required, BVM will also design custom cables for internal connectivity, power supplies and custom enclosures / chassis that conform to the specific requirements of the final product design.
- Design for Manufacture (‘DFM’): All products designed at BVM are optimised for efficient and cost-effective assembly that can be completed on a repeatable basis. By following the DFM design process, BVM provide customers with bespoke solutions are manufactured to the highest standards of quality and reliability.
This the final step – the one that effectively brings your product to market – to your standards and on time. BVM’s manufacturing services provide for several key steps that ensure that the final product meets your requirements inclusive of :-
- Testing: Our manufacturing process includes several stages of testing to ensure that the manufactured product is functioning correctly and is free of defects. This includes burn-in and soak testing, thermal performance testing and environmental testing to ensure that the product can withstand the conditions it will be exposed to and it will work as expected. We can also write test routines to qualify components individually – such as custom PCB designs.
- Materials Management: BVM ensures that the correct materials & components are used for the manufacturing process and that individual components & their sub-assemblies can be tracked throughout the manufacturing process. This includes goods in inspection, product serialisation, management of End of Life (EoL) and Last Time Buy (LTB) and a simple to use on-line RMA system to ensure that any product issues can be identified & reported to us quickly – and resolved.
- Logistics and Tracking: Once the product is manufactured, BVM handles the logistics and tracking of the product, including traceability of shipments (proof of delivery), product labelling and OEM/branded packaging to ensure product is delivered on time and in perfect condition.
BVM specialise in the design and manufacturing of industrial and embedded computers. Our team of in-house experts have many years of in-field experience and consequently a proven track record of delivering ’designed to meet the task’ industrial PC computing solutions. Our aim is always to help you bring your product to market faster and help reduce your own internal investment in R&D time.
We like to make life easier
BVM supply a wide and diverse range of Industrial and Embedded PC Systems. From Industrial Motherboards, SBCs and Box PCs, to Rack Mount computers and Industrial Panel PCs. However, if you can’t find a solution that meets your needs from our wide & varied portfolio of standard products, speak to one of our team members around our bespoke design and manufacturing services. We can design a solution from concept through to final product creation.
Design | Develop | Test | Manufacture
Here’s a selection of our design, manufacturing & associated services: –
For customers designing a brand-new product from scratch
or working with an existing prototype.
- Prototyping – Custom PC Design
- Prototyping pre checks
- Hardware compatibility
- Thermal testing
- Software compatibility
- Custom PCB / Carrier Board Design
- COM Express, Qseven, SMARC
- Jetson, Raspberry Pi
- Custom Chassis Design
- Custom Cables
- Custom Back Panels and Faceplates
- Custom Cooling
- Custom Metal Work (internal brackets, mounting brackets)
- Touchscreen Integration and Display Enhancements
- Custom LCD Displays
- Integration of touch technologies
- Optical Bonding
- Anti-reflective and anti-glare coatings
- Software – Custom OS Image
- All products are Designed for Manufacture
Take an existing system and we can:
- Custom specification (CPU, RAM, I/O, Industrial-Grade Storage, RAID)
- Chassis customisation and branding
- Custom BIOS
- Long Term Availability
- Software – Custom OS Image
- Custom Packaging and branding
- Integrating newly designed or existing hardware into a larger system
Porting, Integration & Deployment
We like to make life easier ….
Our support teams have worked in a variety of industrial and embedded environments and consequently provide knowledge, know-how, experience and all round good advice around all BVM’s products & services when and where you need it.
We don’t profess to know everything you need at the time – but we’ll always help in the first instance and get back to you when a little more information is required.