We provide the tools you need to bring your
rugged device to market.
Our end-to-end rugged device manufacturing services provide everything you need to take your project from prototype to production.
Rugged Device Development
Ruggedized computers are specifically designed to operate reliably (providing the maximum of ‘uptime) in harsh and challenging environments. Rugged computers are designed to combat conditions such as strong vibration, the extremes of temperatures in hot, cold and humidity and where wet or dusty conditions prevail.
Their design provides for tough external housings (capable of withstanding of the ‘bangs & knocks’ and being dropped from heights) and careful selection of internal components, too. Due consideration needs to be provided to how the device is thermally managed when the device is up & running and working to maximum capacity – especially in hot climates.
In general, ruggedised or ‘harsh environment’ computers provide for the same needed design features as each other and both terminologies are generally interchangeable; in short, they’re no different from one or another and service the same needs in the majority of instances.
Operational environments for rugged PC’s include applications concerning provision for the following:-
Regarding the physical format of a ruggedized PC, these are generally no different to PC’s that operate within ‘standard’ or ‘ambient’ environments (with the exception of the features they possess) – i.e. laptops, tablet PCs and PDAs by way of example.
Your harsh environment design will require the identification of the external & internal performance components needed which BVM will help you with. A recommendation on the necessary hardware to achieve your requirements backed up with the provision of suitable specifications in the form of either a commercially off-the-shelf (COTS) or, indeed, a customised design – which will provide due consideration to both your operating environment and the running requirements for your application
What BVM Provide…
- Rugged device assembly via our production engineering facilities in Southampton, UK.
- PCB and Chassis Design
- Wiring & Cable Loom Manufacturing
- Test & Inspection
- Procurement & Supply Chain Management
- After sales support services
Fast and Reliable Manufacturing Solutions
- ‘End-to-end’ manufacturing services, with an established local and global supply chain. Gain the access you need to global markets without having to set up a factory yourself.
- Expert knowledge of materials performance and manufacturing processes, alongside established relationships with machining, tooling, and fabrication partners allows us to efficiently handle your production requirements from new product introduction (NPI) through to sustainable production to enhance your rugged device assembly to aftermarket servicing and technical support.
Production Engineering for your Rugged Device
- Production Engineering (PE) acts as a bridge between product concept, design & development and manufacturing phases. Whether you choose pilot production or long-term manufacturing, our qualified production engineers, technicians, and operatives will oversee every aspect of your project to ensure a seamless transition when ramping up to volume manufacture. Even if your rugged device has been designed by a third-party, we’ll liaise directly with your design authority to get a full understanding of manufacturing requirements and timescales for completion.
- Our PE team are responsible for technical file audits, generating manufacturing build procedures and detailed works instructions – which incorporates process validation and the training of production operatives where required.
Rugged Device Assembly
We handle manufacturing and assembly capacity needs from prototyping to low & medium production needs through to high volume. We deliver consistent quality to reduce risk and provide peace of mind.
PCB, Wire & Cable Loom Manufacturing
It’s likely your device will need to incorporate wiring or cable assemblies of some type – simple or complex. BVM have extensive experience accommodating various levels of wiring harness and cable assemblies using both semi-automatic and skilled manual processes.
Testing & Inspection
Automated test and inspection equipment provides the quality assurance that all devices BVM manufactured perform and are built to their optimum standards. We capture, inspect and record high-quality images of every PCB before they’re integrated into your device. For comprehensive test coverage, we subject product to automated optical inspection (AOI) and X-Ray inspection processes. They’re ideal for capturing the efficiencies of the component placement and reflow soldering processes for devices such as of 0201/1005 capacitors through to 0.3 mm pitch QFP’s to provide all round process control for defect prevention and maintenance of effective quality procedures.
Procurement & Supply Chain Management
BVM have a trusted network of suppliers to source and procure high quality but cost-effective materials in meeting individual device and full assembly requirements. Using our in-house ERP system, we can track materials, parts, and components across our supply chain to provide full traceability throughout the lifecycle of your rugged device.
BVM’s established long-standing partnerships with our suppliers are built on trust, transparency, and open communication enabling us to be proactive when notified of any changes within the supply chain.
Aftersales Servicing & Support
No matter where you’re globally located, we provide servicing and support, post-manufacture. We undertake and provide (just some) of the following:
- Serialisation for Traceability
- Rugged Device labelling, packaging and distribution
- On Line RMA System
- Corrective Action Reporting
- Inventory Management & Control
- Warehousing and logistics
Embedded PC solutions we can incorporate within your rugged device prototype…
2.5″ Embedded Pico-ITX SBCs
NUC / 4X4 Embedded SBCs
Industrial PC Components
BVM supply a wide and diverse range of Industrial and Embedded Systems. From Industrial Motherboards, SBCs and Box PCs, to Rack Mount computers and Industrial Panel PCs so, If you cant find an off the shelf system that meets your specific requirements our in house design team can design a new product from start to finish.
We like to make life easier ….
Our technical & commercial team members will always provide you with valuable but impartial advice around the products and services that BVM supplies. With their collective backgrounds, they’ll provide you with the benefit of their knowledge and experiences when & where you need it. We’ll always help you in the first instance and get back to you when additional information is required.
Design | Develop | Test | Manufacture
Here’s a selection of our design, manufacturing
& associated services: –
- Prototyping – Custom PC Design, Custom Panel PC, Custom Racks or Custom Peli Case PC
- Prototyping pre checks (chargeable one-time fee for existing prototype)
- Hardware compatibility
- Thermal testing
- Software compatibility
- Custom PCB / Board Design
- Custom Chassis Design
- Custom Cables
- Custom Back Panels and Faceplates
- Custom Cooling
- Custom Metal Work (internal brackets, mounting brackets)
- Touchscreen Integration and Display Enhancements
- Software – Custom OS Image
- Custom specification (CPU, Ram, I/O, Storage)
- Chassis customisation and branding
- Custom BIOS
- Software – Custom OS Image
- Custom Packaging and branding
- Integrating newly designed or existing hardware into a larger system