Digital video recording unit for unattended traffic enforcement
Our client provides traffic and parking systems for the intelligent monitoring and maintaining of free flowing traffic around bus lanes, yellow box junctions and red routes for towns and cities across the UK and USA, providing their clients with large scale system technologies to support the demands of managing and enforcing traffic offences.
Our client needed an unattended networked monitoring solution, 24/7/365 operational in a diversity of weather, climatic and lighting conditions. At the heart of the system, a computer capable of controlling the associated running of a single motion camera to enforce a variety traffic contraventions.
Up until our discussions, our client had been deploying an off the shelf computer IPC unit, providing the chassis with a level of modification to incorporate tamper proof circuitry & ingress protected I/O via a 3rd party engineering firm. Although functional, the IPC suffered difficulties around hard drive failure due to poor thermal management of the system, further beset by the obsolescence of various additional modules – and the overall extension to product lead times with the use of the engineering partner.
As a result, engineering support time was being spent either re-configuring application software for change of hardware or attending site installs to investigate units that had become non-responsive.
A thermally managed system was at the centre of our design to cope with both the external (weather) and internal environments. At its heart, a powerful low TDP (15 Watt) Intel Sky Lake i5 Processor, selected to minimise internal heat generation whilst still maintaining the system’s ability to perform around image capture and the processing of large amounts of data – and providing a level of future proofing to cope with the introduction of emerging technologies in cameras for the overall supply of two solutions; 4 and 8 channel capture designs. The processor solution also incorporated Intel AMT 11 to further aid the remote monitoring, maintenance, updating/upgrading and repair of the system via the client’s network.
Connectivity was provided in the format of LAN, cellular (3G, 4G, GPS) and WiFi. All internal components (availability, 5-7 years) were deployed to facilitate working in temperature extremes of -20°C to +60°C, ensuring the unit would be fully functional across a variety of climates, all housed within a custom designed IP65, passively cooling chassis – with additional electronics incorporated to provide the tamper proof circuitry.
Value to the client
- Reduction in man hours attending site installs due 24/7 connectivity.
- Reduction in travelling costs and man hours spent on site fixing & upgrading site installs. Now can all be done remotely via their network providing for the influence behind the systems pay-back.
- Client has reduced the amount of time company vehicles are on the road – providing better ‘Green’ contribution
- Efficiencies gained via the reduction of man hours travelling to remote sites has provided the opportunity to re-deploy staff onto other more productive tasks.
- IP 65 Ingress Protection
- 4G/GPS/WiFi Connectivity
- Easy Access Enclosures
- Motherboard integration with additional electronics
- Operational Temperature -20°C to +60°C
- Windows 10 IoT LTSB
- Remote access and management : Intel AMT 11