Microsoft Windows 10 IoT Core – WIN-10-IOT-CORE
Microsoft – WIN-10-IOT-CORE – Windows 10 IoT Core | Embedded OS Software
Windows 10 IoT is the successor to the Windows NT Embedded, Windows XP Embedded, Windows Embedded Standard 7 and Windows Embedded 8 operating systems. Windows 10 IoT Core Embedded is a Windows 10 desktop operating system with a special license for the OEM in the IoT or Embedded System market.
BVM specialises in producing ports of Windows 10 IoT Core to go with many of the embedded systems. Read more here or contact us to talk through your requirements. Some early advice can save a lot of time later in the project.
What is Windows 10 IoT?
Windows 10 IoT is a member of the Windows 10 family that brings enterprise-class power, security and manageability to the Internet of Things. It leverages Windows’ embedded experience, ecosystem and cloud connectivity, allowing organizations to create their Internet of Things with secure devices that can be quickly provisioned, easily managed, and seamlessly connected to an overall cloud strategy.
Windows 10 IoT Editions
Windows 10 IoT comes in two editions. Windows 10 IoT Core is the smallest member of the Windows 10 operating system family. While only running a single app, it still has the manageability and security expected from Windows 10. By contrast, Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is a full version of Windows 10 with specialized features to create dedicated devices locked down to a specific set of applications and peripherals.
Windows 10 IOT Comparison*
|IoT Core||IoT Enterprise**|
|User Experience||Single UWP app running at startup with supporting background apps & services||Traditional Windows Shell with Advanced Lockdown Features|
|App Architecture supported||UWP only||UWP & Win32|
|Cortana||Yes (display required)||Yes|
|Domain Join||Azure Active Directory (AAD) only||AAD & Traditional Domain Join|
|Management||Mobile Device Management (MDM)||MDM & Traditional Agent Based (e.g. SCCM)|
|Device Security Technologies||Secure Boot, TPM, BitLocker, Device Guard, Windows as a Service, Windows Firewall & Device Health Attestation||Same as IoT Core and Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP)|
|CPU Architecture support||X86, x64 & ARM||x86 & x64|
|Licensing||Online licensing terms agreement and Embedded OEM Agreements, Royalty Free||Direct and Indirect Embedded OEM Agreements|
|Usage Scenarios||Digital signage Smart building IoT Gateway||HMI Smart home Wearables||Industry tablets Point of Sale Kiosk Digital signage||ATM Medical devices Manufacturing devices Thin client|
|Which Version to Choose?||For devices that only run a single application, manufacturers should investigate using IoT Core||For devices that require desktop functionality, multiple apps or access to desktop apps (e.g. Win32, WPF)|
*This feature list is not exhaustive but intended to highlight edition differences
** Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is Windows 10 Enterprise with different licensing and distribution
Differences between Windows 10 Desktop and Windows 10 IoT Core
Different features available on Desktop and IoT Core
- Inbox Cortana is no longer available on Windows 10 IoT Core since version 1809 (17763). If you are looking to bring a voice-enabled device to market quickly, you can integrate Cortana support into the device using the preview of the Cortana Devices SDK.
- The FileOpenPicker API is not supported in Windows 10 IoT Core. To access local drives or removable storage, you can implement this in your own application.
- The Windows 10 IoT Core device will boot to the default app instead of a desktop-like PC. The purpose of this application is not only to provide you with a friendly shell to interact with upon first boot, but to also allow you to use the open-sourced code for this application so that you can use these features to plug and play your own custom application(s).
Differences in driver-supported areas
- Windows 10 Desktop has more supported drivers than Windows 10 IoT Core. To make the same device(s) work on Windows 10 IoT Core as on Desktop, you may need to build a driver from source for a Windows 10 IoT Core device or find another workaround, especially for ARM architecture.
- There is no out-of-the-box driver for libusb for Windows 10 IoT Core (ARM) – you will need to build from source to target the ARM architecture.
BVM provides a full design and manufacturing service for embedded systems and provides a full turnkey package for its OEM customers. Find out more here.
If you cant find an off the shelf product that meets your specific requirements speak with our in house design team who can design a new product from start to finish.
Design | Develop | Test | Manufacture
Here’s a selection of our design, manufacturing
& associated services: –
- FREE Pre-design / Pre-sales advise
- Prototyping – Custom PC Design, Custom Panel PC, Custom Racks or Custom Peli Case PC
- Prototyping pre checks (chargeable one-time fee for existing prototype)
- Hardware compatibility
- Thermal testing
- Software compatibility
- Custom PCB / Board Design
- Custom Chassis Design
- Custom Cables
- Custom Back Panels and Faceplates
- Custom Cooling
- Custom Metal Work (internal brackets, mounting brackets)
- Touchscreen Integration and Display Enhancements
- Software – Custom OS Image
- Custom specification (CPU, Ram, I/O, Storage)
- Chassis customisation and branding
- Custom BIOS
- Software – Custom OS Image
- Custom Packaging and branding
- Integrating newly designed or existing hardware into a larger system
- Windows image capture from customers HDD
- Linux image capture from customers HDD
- Windows / Linux Deployment from customers image
- Custom Windows images, create and deploy
- Update management
- Custom Linux and Android images?
- Custom BIOS